- Opportunity Number:
- Contract Vehicle:
- STOC II
- Closing Date:
- Brief Summary:
NOTICE OF INTENT TO AWARD – SOLE SOURCE PROCUREMENT
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: The Product Manager for Ground Combat Tactical Trainer (PM GCTT) has a requirement to upgrade the Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) Automatic Fire Suppression System (AFSS) Part Task Trainer located at Ft Lee, VA. The software and hardware upgrades shall support the transition of the 91B course from Ft Jackson, SC to Ft Lee, VA. Transition of the training responsibility from Ft Jackson to Ft Lee will occur in Fiscal Year 15 and this design upgrade must be in place by January 2016 in order to accommodate the increased student throughput at Ft Lee. The software and hardware upgrades shall result in a reduced instructor workload and allow one instructor to directly interface with up to seven individual MRAP AFSS workstations.
Based on the above, the Government intends to procure the following requirements:
• Monitor Battery life in test equipment when connected to the trainer
• Step tracking and student scoring for each Training task List (TTL)
• Provide the capability for the instructor to monitor the performance of students on all tasks (i.e. where they are in the troubleshooting steps)
• For each TTL, the instructor shall be provided with digitized text describing the tasks to be trained and grading criteria of the scenario.
• Alert the instructor when a student has received a NO-GO score for an exercise.
• Provide the instructor with the reason(s) why a student failed a lesson or training exercise
• Provide the following instructor feature: Real-time monitoring and control (including freeze, and reset) of executing TTL.
• The instructor shall have the capability to freeze the scenario at any time during the training session and then resume training from the point the scenario was frozen.
• Provide automatic performance grading for each TTL.
• Performance shall be compared and graded against predetermined criteria for student actions
• Score whether the correct Line Replaceable Unit (LRU) was replaced or action taken as part of the training scenario.
• Score whether an incorrect LRU was replaced or incorrect action taken as part of the training exercise.
• Count the number of steps a student performed during the training exercise that were not accounted for by the assigned task as defined in Interactive Electronic Technical Manual (IETM) (troubleshooting procedures)
• Track the percentage of required steps, as defined by IETM (troubleshooting procedures), a student skipped during the training exercise
• Capture whether a student used the test equipment dictated by the training exercise, as defined in IETM (troubleshooting procedures)
• Capture whether a student followed the task steps in the correct sequence as dictated by the training exercise, as defined in IETM (troubleshooting procedures)
• Capture the number of times a student exercise was restarted.
• Ability to alter the scoring thresholds (i.e., the number of occurrences of a given criteria that are allowed before a score of NO-GO is assigned).
• Provide an automatic capability to score the performance of students on all tasks, dependent upon the ability of the trainer to detect scored actions.
• Instructors shall be capable of real-time, non-intrusive monitoring of students’ performance.
• Allow the instructor the ability to add notes, for his own use or for display to the students, to the TTL
• Able to view the status of up to 7 trainers simultaneously on a single IOS display
• Able to control the status of up to 7 trainers simultaneously on a single IOS display
• Able to use a remote handheld display for IOS controls.
ACQUISITION APPROACH: The Government anticipates awarding a new Firm Fixed Price Delivery Order to Rockwell Collins Simulation and Training Solutions, LLC (RC-STS) under PEO STRI’s Omnibus Contract II (STOC II), W900KK-09-D-0350.
RC-STS is the only company that can successfully perform this effort as they have the relevant on-going MRAP AFSS experience with a proven, fielded design that can meet the upgrade requirements. The Government does not possess nor can provide any design information on the fire suppression components manufactured by Amerex Corporation and Firetrace Aerospace that are utilized on the trainer. The required design upgrade is primarily related to the Amerex Corporation components located in the crew compartment and engine compartment. Only one task upgrade is associated with the Firetrace Aerospace components located in the wheel well. During the initial design Rockwell Collins established working relationships required to obtain engineering and design information with both companies and has agreements with Amerex Corporation to provide continued expertise associated with the hardware and software upgrades and design information not available elsewhere.
The reuse of the existing MRAP AFSS design will reduce program risk, life cycle cost and schedule to ensure a quality end product. It is crucial, in order to maintain training objectives, that the software upgrades be fully integrated, tested and delivered into a common solution in conjunction with the 91B course movement to Ft Lee.
This order will be issued on a sole source basis in accordance with FAR 16.505(b)(2)(i)(B), “Only one awardee is capable of providing the supplies or services required at the level of quality required because the supplies or services ordered are unique or highly specialized.”
ESTIMATED ACQUISITION DOLLAR VALUE: Approximately $3.6M
DELIVERY PERIOD: Delivery of the hardware/ software upgrade package is due nine months after DO award. Installation of the upgrade package is due no later than December 31, 2015.
RESPONSES REQUESTED: Contractors who can provide PM GCTT with the ability to meet the requirement to provide software/hardware upgrades for the MRAP AFSS shall submit an affirmative, written response using Microsoft Word, Times New Roman, 12 font, not to exceed five pages, indicating their ability to meet the specific requirements outlined above. Responses should appear on company letterhead and include any applicable pricing data or information. All responses should include a point of contact, telephone number and an e-mail address.
Additionally, respondents should indicate whether they are a large business, small business, small disadvantaged business, 8(a) concern, women-owned small business, HUBZone, service disabled veteran-owned small business, or qualify as socially or economically disadvantaged and whether they are U.S. or foreign owned.
Responses shall be furnished electronically to the contact listed below, not later than 11:00 AM EDT, September 18, 2014.
DISCLAIMER: This notice does not constitute an Invitation for Bids or a Request for Proposal and is not a commitment by the U.S. Government to procure subject products. No funds are available to pay for preparation of responses to this notification. The Government will use any information received by the closing date of this notice to determine whether other sources are available and capable to satisfy this requirement.
Ms. Carolyn Wardell
- Contracts POC:
- Carolyn Wardell, Contract Specialist; Patricia Soucy, Branch Chief/Contracting Officer
- Technical POC:
- Wayne Golon