- Opportunity Number:
- Contract Vehicle:
- STOC II
- Closing Date:
- Brief Summary:
Special Notice: The Industry Day – Pre Solicitation Conference scheduled for 24 August 2015 for Aviation Combined Arms Tactical Trainer (AVCATT) Helmet Mounted Display (HMD) System Replacement effort has been postponed. No date has been established for a future Industry Day. A draft solicitation will be posted in the next few weeks with additional information and details. (End)
If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Marvin Hagan, Contract Specialist, email@example.com and CC Mr. Duane St. Peter, Contracting Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org and Mr. Kirk Thomas, Lead AVCATT Systems Engineer, email@example.com.(End)
The Program Executive Office for Simulation, Training and Instrumentation (PEO STRI) is amending the Sources Sought Notice posted for the Aviation Combined Arms Tactical Trainer (AVCATT) Helmet Mounted Display (HMD) Upgrade (Solicitation Number: W900KKCATTSSNAVCATTHMD). PEO STRI will hold a 1 hour teleconference with individual contractors to discuss any questions/comments. All interested parties should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com no later than Tuesday, 10 March 2015 3pm EST. The teleconference will be held on Friday, 13 March 2015. Teleconference times and further details will be sent out after the 10 March 2015 deadline. Contact Marvin Hagan at firstname.lastname@example.org or (407) 208-3349 with any questions.
Title: Program Executive Office for Simulation, Training and Instrumentation (PEO STRI) for the Aviation Combined Arms Tactical Trainer (AVCATT) Helmet Mounted Display (HMD) Upgrade
Contract Vehicle: TBD
Closing Date: 3:30PM EST 17 March 2015
Brief Summary: This Sources Sought Notice (SSN) is being issued as a follow-on to the AVCATT HMD Upgrade Request for Information (RFI) dated 13 November 2012. Since the posting of the RFI, the Government has updated the technical documentation of this requirement. This SSN provides Industry with the opportunity to respond to the requirements, should those parties interested have missed the RFI closing date. The updated AVCATT HMD Upgrade technical documentation includes the following:
- Draft AVCATT Visual Technical Specification
- Draft AVCATT Head Mounted Display Technical Specification
Market research is being conducted to determine interested sources and technology capabilities of contractors for the procurement of the AVCATT HMD Replacements. Interested sources are invited to provide a capability statement to replace and deliver the new integrated HMD solution as described in the attached technical documentation.
In addition to seeking capable sources, the Government also requests industry feedback and cost impacts on the AH-64 aviators concerns regarding the inability to perform infinite focusing or selectively adjusting the HMD flight symbology. The attached documents addresses the aviators concerns:
• AVCATT- Infinite Focusing and Selectively Adjusting HMD Symbology
PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: The AVCATT is the Army Aviation's only Collective Training Program of Record for Active, Reserve and Army National Guard Aviation Units. AVCATT enables unit collective and combined arms air-ground training for AH-64, UH-60, CH-47, OH-58, and UH-72 aircrews within the Live, Virtual, Constructive, & Gaming (LVC-G) Integrated Training Environment (ITE). The AVCATT also supports the training of Non-Rated crew members in crew coordination, flight, aerial gunnery, hoist and slingload related tasks via the Non-Rated Crewmember Manned Module (NCM3); which can be linked to AVCATT's UH-60 and CH-47 cockpit configurations to support a unit's specific Mission Training Requirements.
PEO STRI Product Manager for Air and Command Tactical Trainers (PM ACTT) has a requirement to keep the equipment in the AVCATT system up to date and technologically relevant. Therefore, the APM AVCATT is seeking information from industry regarding the replacement of HMDs in the FY 2017-2018 timeframe. As documented in the attached draft Technical Specification document, two key areas of improvement desired over the current implementation are the following:
- Increased resolution beyond 1280x1024
- Reduction in Lifecycle costs
The current product in AVCATT is the Rockwell SR100A with an integrated InterSense IS-900 MiniTrax. Each Manned Module utilizes 2 HMDs and an InterSense tracking system. The current InterSense 1S-900 MiniTrax may be reused as part of the HMD replacement solution. However, the Government does not guarantee that it will meet the increased requirements in the specification.
ACQUISITION APPROACH: The Government is currently developing an acquisition strategy for the AVCATT HMD Upgrade effort with an anticipated Request for Proposal (RFP) release in 4QFY15. The Government anticipates a Firm Fixed Price (FFP) contract. Issues to be considered in the acquisition strategy for this effort include the following:
• Contractor will develop and support software using non-proprietary components. All software is to be developed and modified to provide Government Purpose Rights (GPR). The software build environment must be self contained, not dependent on any capital assets.
• The information above does not preclude the use of Commercial of the Shelf (COTS) software in your particular solutions. However, the intent behind requiring GPR is to allow the Government to pursue future upgrades/modifications and Life Cycle Support in a competitive environment.
• The Government anticipates that Contractors will conduct integrated demonstrations on the AVCATT system as part of the Proposal/Evaluation process.
QUANTITIES: Replacement HMDs (2 per Manned Module) that are utilized in our base AVCATT Suite (two trailers and six manned modules per suite) with 24 suites in the fleet including developmental assets. There will be an additional 2 HMDs per suite as spares.
ESTIMATED DOLLAR VALUE: TBD
RESPONSES REQUESTED: This SSN is being issued as an update to the AVCATT HMD Upgrade RFI issued on 13 November 2012. The Procuring Contracting Officer (PCO) requests that those contractors desiring the Government to consider them for this opportunity respond via email only on or before 13 March 2015, no later than 3:30PM EST to email@example.com, with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is requested that capability statements provided not exceed twenty-five (25) pages, including the cover sheet. Font shall not be smaller than industry standard word processor 12-point Times New Roman.The brief should be compatible with MS Word 2013. The cover page should include company name, address, and points of contact including phone numbers and email addresses.
Please identify your Business Size Standard and, if applicable, socio-economic categories in accordance with 2007 NAICS 333319 and 2012 NAICS 333318. If vendor is a small business, and you are interested in participating as the prime contractor, please provide how you plan on meeting the limitations on subcontracting per FAR 52.219-14, Limitations on Subcontracting. If vendor is a small business and you are only interested in subcontracting opportunities, please be specific in identifying the areas you are interested in supporting.
Sources sought responses should include the following pieces of information for purposes of capability determination:
- What products do you currently have or will have that will meet the AVCATT HMD specification in fall 2015? As stated above, the Government’s intent is to execute demonstrations as a part of the source selection process. Please clarify if your solution is a current or future product and if you would be able to demonstrate your product in the AVCATT environment this calendar year.
- Explain where this solution has been utilized or will be utilized other than the AVCATT program.
- Provide the specifications for your HMD solution (weight, size, resolution – including native and all supported resolutions).
- Explain your capability to meet the Contract Award delivery schedule for first article acceptance (first article = one Suite and all lab assets; 26 total HMDs) within six months of contract award.
- What is the estimated hardware cost to upgrade one AVCATT suite? An AVCATT suite consists of six Manned Modules, two HMDs per manned module, and two spare HMDs per suite. If your solution requires equipment external to the HMD itself, please describe that equipment and include associated costs.
- What is the estimated Non-Recurring Engineering (NRE) cost to integrate your solution into the AVCATT environment, including symbology integration?
- Please describe your non-proprietary, non-licensed solutions that will be available to maximize the AVCATT programs life cycle and sustainment cost savings. Confirm that your solution will provide Government Purpose Rights (GPR).
- How will your solution reduce the AVCATT program life cycle cost related to the HMD solution post procurement?
- Describe your capability with obsolescence design engineering.
- Explain your ability to produce and field the required quantities within one year. (6 Manned Modules per Suite, 23 Suites. 2 Spares per Suite)
The Government is also requesting feedback on the following items, but responses to these items will not impact the capability determination. They will be utilized to inform the Government’s acquisition approach.
- Suggestions on any industry HMD specification factors that should be included for clarity.
- Technical achievability of incorporating the AH-64 aviators concerns regarding the infinite focusing or selectively adjusting the HMD flight symbology.
- Assuming there is a technical solution to address the aviator’s concerns, please provide ROM cost impacts (those above the cost to procure your standard HMD solution) associated with incorporating those additional capabilities in an HMDdisplay solution.
- Feedback on a Firm Fixed Price (FFP) contract for Non-Recurring Engineering (NRE), including symbology integration into your HMD solution, and subsequent production CLINs.
PEO STRI would like information on how the Government can satisfy its needs; contracting strategies; technology innovations; program risks; the identification of cost drivers; a ROM for per unit cost; any other information that may be relevant, which will enable the Government to assess an appropriate acquisition strategy.
Additionally, should Contractors have questions with regard to the subject effort, it is requested that these questions be submitted in writing to the Contract Specialist, Marvin Hagan, email@example.com before 3:30pm EST on 17 March 2015.
DISCLAIMER: This notice does not constitute an invitation for bids or a Request for Proposal (RFP) and is not a commitment by the U.S. Government to procure subject products. No funds are available to pay for preparation of responses to this notification. The Government will use the information received to identify potential sources and to assist in the development of the AVCATT HMD Upgrade acquisition strategy.
CONTRACTS POINT OF CONTACT: Primary - Mr. Marvin Hagan, Contract Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternate – Ms. Lauren Pascioni, Contract Specialist, email@example.com. Alternate- Mr. Duane St. Peter, Contracting Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org
- AVCATT HMD Replacement Statement Of Work Draft
2. AVCATT HMD Technical Specification Draft
3. AVCATT Visual Technical Specification Draft
4. AVCATT Adjustable Symbology Concerns
- Contracts POC:
- Technical POC: